Sunday, May 13, 2012

What A Day!!!

Holy cow! Yesterday was a BUSY day!! Let's start off at 5:15AM shall we?? I woke up a little earlier than normal due to a 5k race I was running. I wanted to wake up early to make sure I was well hydrated before the race. As I sat around waiting for the time to leave, I was pretty relaxed. I was REALLY nervous all night and didn't really sleep at all. My heart was racing and it kept me up. In my mind, this race was really important to me. I wanted to do well. To be honest, I wanted to WIN. (Winning as in first for my age group) When we got to the race I got REALLY intimidated because of how many runners there were. I soon pushed my goal of winning aside and just thought about my time. I wanted to PR. I had my fastest time in a race was 26minutes and 6 seconds. I had run a 5k by myself the other day because of how awful my last race was (28minutes) I ran it in just over 23 minutes. I was really hoping to beat that at this race. So, as I warmed up I was able to push my nerves away and relax. They called all the runners over to the starting line to get ready. I went straight to the back.The race is chip timing so my time didn't start until I crossed a certain point. During the race, my legs felt like dead weights. I don't know why but ever since I got my new shoes I've felt that way. I'm kind of bummed about it. Maybe I'm still trying to break them in? Anyway, at about 2 1/2 miles in, I was so hot. Feeling overheated and a little nauseous. I tried all Friday and all morning to stay hydrated and eat well, but I think my body just doesn't like the heat. Or isn't used to it because I've only really ran in the winter. About a half mile left, I was really wanting to walk. REALLY wanting to. But I saw the finish line and decided I wanted to finish this out with a bang. My IPOD, which I was using for timing, had said I was already at 23 minutes so I knew I hadn't reached my time goal so I decided just to finish as best I could. 200 meters til the finish line I could hear my husband whistling and saw my awesome Mother in law and Sister in law there cheering me on. So I pushed hard to cross the line. Their clock had said 26 minutes and 30 seconds. I knew it wasn't that slow. I waited and waited for the results. I didn't want to leave. I still had kind of hoped that I placed in my age group. As the announcer came on and did the results for over all top 3 women, I kind of wasn't listening. I was because I wanted to make sure I was going to hear the results for the age groups. "3rd place over all women with a time of 24 minutes and 26 seconds goes to Emily Buck" HEY!!! That's ME!!! I looked at Tanner and just starting BAWLING. Luckily I had my sunglasses on because I was kind of embarressed at how much I was crying. I walked up to the table to claim my medal. They said that they didn't give out a medal for the overall placings. WHAT??? Why not!? haha I wanted a medal! Then they said maybe I had placed in my age group. Ok, let's look. I took FIRST! I started to tear up again, got my medal, and then ran back to Tanner. This was just so awesome. I couldn't believe that not only did I win my age group, but out of ALL the women, I took THIRD!! Heck yes!! I just sat in my chair, beaming. I was so incredibly happy. I have busted my BUTT off these past 7 months. I have worked so hard to lose weight and to actually WIN and be successful, oh man, the feeling is just too strong for words. I'm so so happy. For once in my life I feel amazing. I feel strong. And I feel beautiful. Knowing that I've been able to push myself so hard these past few months to get here where I am is so incredible. Having struggled for years to be motivated and to feel beautiful, finally reaching this point in indescribable.  I'm so happy. 

 Sandra and Carly!!

After the race we headed out to go take a few family pictures for a friend. (Remember that mom who is awesome. Miracle?) After that we headed home for lunch and then went to Wet N Wild! My brothers, Time and Ben, Tim's wife Christina, my running buddy Annie and her family all came along! We were there for about 5 hours!! At the end, I was so beat. The sun was just killing me. It was pretty warm out. We headed to my parent's house after the water park for Mother's Day. We ate dinner and then left for home. It was such a busy day! I didn't really get many photos because I didn't want to bring my nice camera to the water park. But anyway, today is Mother's Day!! I will hopefully post about it tonight! But, it's another busy busy day! Happy Mother's Day!!


Leslie said...

Way to go! You did great!

Anthony and Erin Mills said...

Way to go! You are awesome! I'm so proud of you!

Torey said...

Wow! Congratulations Emily! That is awesome news. Your dedication is inspiring!

SSToone said...

Awesome work! I am glad you've found something you love AND excel at!